Re: proposal to split sgml-base

Ardo van Rangelrooij <ardo@debian.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Well, it seems I've to do things differently wrt sgml-base.  In the current
> setup both conffiles /etc/sgml/catalog and /etc/sgml/transition.cat are
> changed in the postinst and prerm scripts of sgml-base which makes forces
> them to not be conffiles.  So, we've a catch 22 here.

I don't get it.  Why is it catch-22?  Why do they have to be
conffiles?

/etc/sgml/catalog is machine composed of delegated catalog statements
so shouldn't be conffile.

/etc/sgml/transition.cat is also machine generated

/etc/sgml.catalog *used* to be a conffile I think but that seems like
a bug to me.

> My proposol for this is to split sgml-base into sgml-common and sgml-base.
> The former will contain the setup for the new setup (update-catalog and
> /etc/sgml/catalog) and the latter for the old setup (install-sgmlcatalog
> and /etc/sgml/transition.cat), with sgml-base depending on sgml-common.
> The postinst of sgml-common moves /etc/sgml.catalog to /etc/sgml/transition.cat
> and the postinst of sgml-base adds /etc/sgml/transition.cat to the super
> catalog /etc/sgml/catalog.  Both can now be conffiles again since neither
> are changed in the respective postinst/etc scripts.
>
> Packages moving over to the new setup have to change their dependency from
> sgml-base to sgml-common.

Seems like needless complexity and again, why is it imperitive these
files are conffiles?