Re: request for XML resources

On Tuesday 7 November 2000, at 2 h 34, the keyboard of John Reinke
<jmreinke@ukans.edu> wrote:

> 1) What XML-capable browser do Linux developers generally use to view XML
> files (using XSL)?

They translate the XML offline :-)

More seriously, there is not yet any XML+XSL browser which anyone reasonable
find ready.

> 2) What languages and libraries are commonly used?

Perl, C, Java, Python...

> I've found tons of
> applications written in Java, which I can handle, although I usually prefer
> Perl or C/C++.

There are many Perl or C applications.

> For parsing libraries, is expat normally used although it's
> non-validating, or does everyone build their own?

I don't know if there is an official survey of parser use...

> 3) What Linux applications exist for editing XML, DTD and XSL files?

emacs

> there any that can convert an XML file from one DTD to another,

Any XSL or DSSSL processor, as well as any custom program.

> answers I need. I wanted to see what is used here, and how people use XML
> in the "real world".

Nobody uses it in the real world :-)