request for XML resources

Hi. I'm relatively new to the world of XML/SGML, and I'm planning to work
on a few XML projects soon, including a master's thesis. Since I'm new to
this and I'm basically jumping in with no guidance, I've got a few basic
questions I'd like to ask. Feel free to reply to me personally if the
answers are too basic for this list...

1) What XML-capable browser do Linux developers generally use to view XML
files (using XSL)?

2) What languages and libraries are commonly used? I've found tons of
applications written in Java, which I can handle, although I usually prefer
Perl or C/C++. For parsing libraries, is expat normally used although it's
non-validating, or does everyone build their own?

3) What Linux applications exist for editing XML, DTD and XSL files? Are
there any that can convert an XML file from one DTD to another, or does
that usually require writing a separate application?

4) Are there any web resources for existing XML formats and DTDs other than
the oasis-open.org site? I'd hate to reinvent the wheel...

I've been looking at a few of the sites I found online such as xml.com,
www3, and IBM, but that's basically it, and they don't seem to cover the
answers I need. I wanted to see what is used here, and how people use XML
in the "real world". Thanks for any hints to help me get started. At this
point, I feel like the first time I tried to install Linux... clueless.  ;-)

John