Re[2]: output-dir solved! Yes?

(I'm kinda long-winded here; but the list is quiet, so please forgive my
penchant for the scribbling away...)

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> wrote:

> | One question remains: has this hassle been produced by a difference in
> | DocBook 4.1 from 3.1, or by my ineptitude installing the latter?

> Uh, I wouldn't blame it on ineptitude, but it had nothing in particular
> to do with the changes to the DocBook DTD.

The short version:

Perhaps not on 'ineptitude' per se, but in this case the answer certainly
falls under the rubric 'pilot error.' I was bumping up against jade's
inability to write to a directory that does not already exist.

The long version: <g>

After spending about four solid months earlier in the year practically living
in emacs while I wrote some documentation in DocBook SGML for one of the
commercial Linux vendors (and getting paid for it!), I then moved on to
something completely unrelated to SGML or documentation of any sort (and went
back to not getting paid! <g>).

When I discovered you had put out your website.dtd and stylesheet, I got them
and also the xml versions of the cygnus 'docbook-tools' that the guys at
duke.edu have put together in a deb. These work well but do not effortlessly
handle a customized driver file, so I went back to my old Makefiles, which
call jade in a very simple manner. Of course 'dbx2html' handles the directory
problem by using a temporary directory and then deleting it, so when my
Makefiles failed I was thrown into a tizzy: why did the cygnus-derived scripts
work when my Makefiles didn't?

In the hiatus away from things I had forgotten that basic fact of jade life.
Now I am back in business and plunging forward again! <g>

(Anyone know of an opening for a Linux-aware DocBook-capable tech writer?)

--
Bob Bernstein                  http://www.ruptured-duck.com