Re: Jade and gcc-2.95

Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com> writes:

> >The current Jade package doesn't compile with gcc 2.95 (our new gcc).
>
> Damn, I was just worrying about this.  What architecture(s) were you
> using?

ARM.  But I did try it with a pre-2.95 snapshot on Intel a month or so
ago and had the same problems (with libstdc++).

> >Is this going to be fixed soon (perhaps with the new OpenJade
> >package)?
>
> Uh, uh, uh.  I dunno.  I guess it's up to James Clark, if it truly is
> a problem in the code (and not a gcc problem).  I am not a C++ hacker.

Neither am I.

> >We haven't had a Jade that works for the ARM port since mid-1998 - due
> >to buggy toolchain problems.  I'm hopeful that gcc-2.95 will be able
> >to successfully compile Jade (and allow me to due proper builds of
> >many packages which use SGML documentation).
>
> Yuh, what a PITA.  I dunno if OpenJade would fix this problem or not.
> It does conflict/replace/provide jade AFAIK.   However, it is a fork
> not a replacement per se.  That is, if jade breaks with new gcc and
> James Clark won't fix it, I may have to orphan it.
>
> I'll try to get OpenJade uploaded in the next few days.  I'm pretty
> behind on my Debian work right now.

I'll take a look at OpenJade to see if it already fixes the problem.

> Can you do me a favor and submit an important bug against Jade
> regarding compilation problems and include the failed build log?

I'll do that.  I'll also see if I can figure out the problem - but my
STL knowledge is pretty weak.

Cheers,

 - Jim