Re: ITP: lib XT : XML/XSL transformations in Java

[Followup on debian-sgml only, Cc: Branden if you reply, because I don't know
if he is on debian-sgml.]

On Monday 28 June 1999, at 15 h 36, the keyboard of Branden Robinson
<branden@ecn.purdue.edu> wrote:

> > XT's licence is MIT X11.
>
> Oh boy, is that ever a terrible name.

XT => XML Transformation

The name is clear for all XML/XSL users :-)

> You know how many people are going to confuse XT with Xt, the X Toolkit
> Intrinsics?

XT only gets the licence in common with Xt. Otherwise, Debian already has two
packages "blast" (unrelated) :-)

> It gets worse.  You say it's actually called "lib XT"?

Don't worry, it is written in Java, so the actual name of the package will be
lib-xt-java.

> How well is it going to play with the following?
>
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.a
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so

Since the binary package is a set of Java classes (bytecode), I don't think ld
will confuse anything :-)

> How widely deployed is this stuff already?  Is there any hope the upstream
> author(s) might consider a name change?

The world of SGML is very closed, X11 is not something they know, XT is
developed on MS-Windows...

> For that matter, Xp is sometimes used to refer to the X Print Extension;
> but that is in far less common usage than Xt is.

XP = XML Parser :-) The Debian package will be lib-xp-java.