XML::XSL-Stream ?

Hy gurus,

  I'm currently evaluating several XSLT implementations for usefullness
  in XML::Edifact. Currently none did satisfy the needs of large Edifact
  batches to process XML documents larger than RAM.

  I'm currently processing those documents with SAX filters, and I now think
  that it could be possible to implement a subset of XSLT in a SAX filter.

  My idea is a SAX handler, able to parse this XSLT subset, to produce a
  SAX filter on the fly (by invocing eval on a string :-) that can now
  act as a SAX filter for XML documents processed by the styesheet.

  Unlike other implementations, there would be no need for a DOM, or a
  similar stucture to store a tree of the input XML document, but only
  temporary variables, to hold informations during the event based
  filter.

  I can currently think of how to implement template, apply-templates,
  for-each, when and value-of. Which is what I would call a minimal
  subset. Some of the XSLT processors seam suiteable for small Edifact
  messages, so my coding affort on this topic would be limited to a
  state of "private usefullness" for the remaining Edifact documents.

  The questions now:

  Did you hear about any other XSLT project that is based on a event of
  streams, instead of a storage structure, so to share work, or to
  cancel my idea ?

  Do you think this handfull subset of XSLT is adequate, to express those
  translations most common to your work ?

Bye Michael
--
  mailto:kraehe@copyleft.de     	UNA:+.? 'CED+2+:::Linux:1.2:13'UNZ+1'