Re: First beta version of the Debian SGML/XML HOWTO

Michael Laing <mpl@flni.com> writes:
> I'd suggest that we try to use pub id's wherever possible - which means
> that tools will have to be able to find the catalog -

Yes -- there is no tool in Debian yet that doesn't understand socats.

> and I suggest we use relative file URI's for sys id's.

Interesting -- relative to SGML_SEARCH_PATH you mean.

> For example, on my potato system, nsgmls has compiled in (apparently)
> that it should look in '.',  '/usr/local/share/sgml/',
> '/usr/local/lib/sgml/', and '/usr/lib/sgml/'. Slink is a little
> different.

I'm not aware that nsgmls SGML_SEARCH_PATH changed from slink to potato.

> Thus the following works:
>
> Given an XML document mydoc.xml that starts with:
>
> 	<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
> 	<!DOCTYPE sources SYSTEM "ucinput.dtd">

Hmm.... I use stuff like:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE project PUBLIC "-//onShore//DTD Projex Project Tracking//EN"
  "dtd/projex.dtd">

This works fine -- note that nsgmls/jade at least will consult the
PUBID iff the SYSID doesn't exist.

> I can't seem to actually get nsgmls or psgml to use the catalog tho... I
> haven't checked other tools...

Really?  Look at SGML_CATALOG_FILES env var too.  Should work... it's
been tested....

> IF the tools follow the 'allowed' logic in the spec, one should be able
> to put in a bogus filename and have the catalog lookup take precedence
> if the catalog and an entry in it are found.

Yup -- that is one of the things I do sometimes, too.