Re: ITP: lib XT : XML/XSL transformations in Java

On Thu, Jul 01, 1999 at 01:19:05PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > > The world of SGML is very closed, X11 is not something they know, XT is
> > > developed on MS-Windows...
> >
> > I see that!  Those guys need to get out more.  I can't fault these guys for
> > releasing free software, but I do think they need to be hit over the head
> > with a large beanbag that says "X WINDOW SYSTEM".
>
> Hey hey!!  A little respect.  IIRC, XT is from James Clark, C++ hacker
> extraordinaire.  He wrote GROFF for god's sake, the first respectable
> GPL'd printing subsystem for Unix.

Okay, well, I'll freely acknowledge the guy has a lot more mojo going than
I do.

I did only suggest the use of a beanbag, though.  You know from IRC that
I often prefer much crueler implements of skull-bashing, so I let the
punishment fit the crime.  :)

As you've pointed out, though, there's no reason to expect any namespace
collisions in a technical sense.  All we have to worry about are those
troublesome that affect only the brains of users.

Like I said, I withdraw my objection for the time being.  I just expect you
SGML guys to join me like a pack of ravening wolves when some cluebie
gripes at me about not being able to figure out how to use libXt.so as a
Java class.  And I'll return the favor if you ever get harangued by some
guy who can't write his own personal widget set around those toolkit
intristics in Java.  :)

"Clueless users are bad for Debian."  :)

--
G. Branden Robinson              |   "There is no gravity in space."
Debian GNU/Linux                 |   "Then how could astronauts walk around