Re: ITP: lib XT : XML/XSL transformations in Java

Branden Robinson <branden@ecn.purdue.edu> writes:

> > The world of SGML is very closed, X11 is not something they know, XT is
> > developed on MS-Windows...
>
> I see that!  Those guys need to get out more.  I can't fault these guys for
> releasing free software, but I do think they need to be hit over the head
> with a large beanbag that says "X WINDOW SYSTEM".

Hey hey!!  A little respect.  IIRC, XT is from James Clark, C++ hacker
extraordinaire.  He wrote GROFF for god's sake, the first respectable
GPL'd printing subsystem for Unix.

> I withdraw my objection for the time being.  But I hope you understand my
> concerns; I get a migraine just thinking about some doofus who files a bug
> against xlib6g because he can't figure out how to get libXt or libXp to do
> XML document manipulation.

I agree he coulda picked better names.

> BTW, just as a heads up, there are rumblings from time to time about
> junking the /usr/X11R6 tree and moving X into /usr, and someday it really
> will happen.  Since these libraries are Java classes, not archives or
> shared objects, I don't antipate any name collisions, but it's better to be
> aware of these issues now rather than later.

Java classes don't share directory namespace with C or C++ libraries, AFAIK.