Re: Should singularity-container make it to next release?

On Thu, Jan 26, 2023 at 09:51:21AM +0100, Paul Gevers wrote:
> On 25-01-2023 20:14, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 21, 2023 at 08:34:40PM +0100, Salvatore Bonaccorso wrote:
> > > So in my understanding of the above the situation around singularity-container,
> > > which lead for buster to https://bugs.debian.org/917867 and keeping it out of
> > > the stable release, did not really change in the aspect of beeing able to patch
> > > vulnerabilities to the stable branch once upstream versions moved on, is this
> > > correct interpretation? In context from #917867, it was even in stretch at
> > > first, but needed to be removed after stretch was released in a point release.

I guess something that changed since then is that upstream is aware
about it and can help a bit with backporting. However the onus to
maintain it in stable is still on the maintainer and security@ (to some
extent)
It is bit of a high-effort maintainance (in stable) as far as I can see.

> I have forwarded this message as bug #1029669. Unless we get more confidence
> that it's supportable, let's keep it out of stable. I guess fasttrack [1] is
> currently the best forum to supply singularity-container to our users.

Since I had done quite a bit of work on this, I'm a sad to see this
happen, as fasttrack still has much less visibility / availability than
an official stable release, or even backports.

--
Best,
Nilesh