Re: Upcoming changes to Debian Linux kernel packages

>> 6.7). So the old gpu module for 6.6 gets removed and a new one is
    >> built for 6.7 only (since there are only 6.7 headers now).

    Bastian> Ah, here lays the missconception.  No, the 6.6 ones are not
    Bastian> removed.  Why should they be?  The system knows it can't
    Bastian> rebuild them.

    Bastian> If the current implementation would remove them, it is a
    Bastian> problem there, not in the concept.

I still think it would help if you would work more on articulating what
problem you are trying to solve with the linux-headers versioning
change.  I have read multiple versions of this proposal, and your
follow-ups, and I still do not understand what is prompting the
linux-headers change.

My intuition mirrors others in the conversation that it is problematic
to support multiple kernel versions without also supporting multiple
header versions.

concerning the linux-headers. may i explain what happend to me.

I reinstalled a debian 11.6 some months ago. and last week i had to make virtualbox functioning again. it had to "compile" some kernel modules and need some "headers". my kernel (from the install is  5.10.0-23-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.179-3 (2023-07-27) x86_64 GNU/Linux) so virtualbox need some 5.10.0-23 headers... you can find 5.10.0.20, 5.10.0.22,  5.10.0.25 in the repos from where the install came from.

I had to surf the web and find a 5.10.0.23 in the web site of an university and wget it to dpkg -i it.

I do not know (maybe i could not even understand) the security reasons/problems of the headers versioning but it seems from my end-user point of view that, the actual situation that lend me to download from a website is the worst possible solution.

hervé