Re: Upcoming changes to Debian Linux kernel packages

    Bastian> On Mon, Sep 25, 2023 at 04:35:08AM +0200, Andreas Beckmann wrote:
    >> On 25/09/2023 00.50, Bastian Blank wrote:
    >> > Already built modules remain until someone deletes it.  So you
    >> can also > switch back to the still installed older kernel
    >> version and it will have > the still working module available.
    >> Assume I have Linux 6.6 and a third-party gpu driver module
    >> installed (so there are dkms and the Linux 6.6 headers as well)
    >> and everything is working fine.  Then I upgrade the system, which
    >> brings Linux 6.7 (along linux-image-6.6 which is kept installed)
    >> and a new version of the gpu driver (which adds support for
    >> 6.7). So the old gpu module for 6.6 gets removed and a new one is
    >> built for 6.7 only (since there are only 6.7 headers now).

    Bastian> Ah, here lays the missconception.  No, the 6.6 ones are not
    Bastian> removed.  Why should they be?  The system knows it can't
    Bastian> rebuild them.

    Bastian> If the current implementation would remove them, it is a
    Bastian> problem there, not in the concept.

I still think it would help if you would work more on articulating what
problem you are trying to solve with the linux-headers versioning
change.  I have read multiple versions of this proposal, and your
follow-ups, and I still do not understand what is prompting the
linux-headers change.

My intuition mirrors others in the conversation that it is problematic
to support multiple kernel versions without also supporting multiple
header versions.