Re: amd64 running on Intel Celeron and Pentium? (was: [SECURITY] [DSA 5113-1] firefox-esr security update)

On Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 03:11:04PM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 08:18:30PM +0200, Levis Yarema wrote:
> > What about Spectre /Meltdown? P3/P4/Pentium M systems don´t have that? Core 2
> > systems to my knowledge can.
>
> There's no reason to believe netburst systems are not affected by any of the
> cpu issues identified in the past few years, but they are obsolete and
> unsupported so nobody is making official statements about them. These
> systems also lack a number of security features present in modern CPUs;
> picking an ancient chip for "security reasons" is likely misguided. Also, in
> the context of this thread, note that the most recent Core 2 processor was
> released in 2010.

  AFAIK there is just no official statement of Intel about Pentium
III, IV and M CPUs. That may also be because they want(ed) people
to buy newer machines. Nonetheless I would be in wonder if
nobody at all had ever tested these CPUs for Spectre and
Meltdown. The issue itself wasn´t discovered by Intel either.

Elmar