Re: debcheckroot v2.0 released

Am 04.04.20 um 00:46 schrieb Lee:
On 4/3/20, Elmar Stellnberger <estellnb@elstel.org> wrote:
Encryption can be a source of arbitrary code execution exploits if not
implemented properly. Encrypting DNS would have other application
purposes and makes sense as long as you use a proxy. If you connect
directly hiding the domain name is ineffective because someone who spys
at the connection also knows the IPs you connect to and via SNI the
cleartext of the domain you surf at.

Yes, but "trusting the answer" and "keeping my communications private"
are not quite the same thing.  If we're talking about "trusting the
answer" I'll take DoT or running my own dnssec enabled resolver.  When
I'm more concerned about "keeping my communications private" I'll take
TOR & accept the trade-off of slower speed.

I think we have to separate two issues here: authenticity asserting that the answer is correct and confidentiality asserting that no one else knows about a message. Signing asserts authenticity while encryption can guarantee confidentiality. With GnuPG encrypted messages are also signed by default so that both features are provided. That does not tell however that both issues are clearly separated. Encryption by itself does not contribute anything to the authenticity of a reply, i.e. you do not know from whom it came. With signing the correctness of an answer can be asserted but the answer itself can be read in cleartext by everyone unless it is additionally encrypted.