Re: how to deal with widely used packages unsuitable for stable (was Re: [Git][security-tracker-team/security-tracker][master] Add radare2 to dla-needed.txt with comments.)

On Fri, 30 Aug 2019, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 30 Aug 2019, Alexander Wirt wrote:
> > > We're not speaking of crap software, we're just speaking of software that
> > > can't be maintained multiple years by backports of security patches, where
> > > we get fixes only with new upstream versions (mixed with new features).
> > I don't want to draw that line, someone would have decide if the software is
> > just crap, the maintainer too lazy or if its really fast pacing. Wordpress is
> > an example of a software that should really be supported within stable. If
> > not its just crap.
> >
> > Imho we should have packages in testing that will not be part of the next
> > release. And we don't want any form of automated migrations. Full stop.
> > People should build and *test* their packages against stable.
>
> I don't know if I'm expressing myself very badly, but there's clearly a
> misunderstanding.
>
> Right now there is no "stable" release where you would build packages for
> bullseye-backports. If you keep the same logic of building next release
> packages against the current release, then for bullseye-backports that
> would mean building packages from unstable in a testing environment.
I have a problem with your definition(s). There is no bullseye-backports yet
and it will only be available short before its release. Backports is meaned
to support a stable release.

Alex