Re: how to deal with widely used packages unsuitable for stable (was Re: [Git][security-tracker-team/security-tracker][master] Add radare2 to dla-needed.txt with comments.)

On Fri, 30 Aug 2019, Alexander Wirt wrote:
> There were several discussions over the last years. And yes, our vision of
> backports does not match the vision of those fastpace/not ready for
> stable/whatever you call them repos. In our vision debian-backports consists
> of new (tested, as in "is in testing") features from the next debian release.

"Tested as in testing" really means "tested by britney using the same
criteria as other packages" and in my earlier suggestion, I was precisely
saying that I do want to keep britney's filter between unstable
and <testing-codename>-backports (i.e. the unused bullseye-backports
during the bullseye development cycle).

Why would it be wrong to have virtualbox or mysql or wordpress or radare2
in the -backports repo?

We're not speaking of crap software, we're just speaking of software that
can't be maintained multiple years by backports of security patches, where
we get fixes only with new upstream versions (mixed with new features).

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer