Re: are unattended updates a good idea?

On 15-01-31 09:58:39, Ml Ml wrote:
> i have got about 50 Debian 6+7 Servers. They are doing all kind of
> things like Webserver, Mailserver, DNS, etc…
>
> I am using apticron to keep track of the updates, but i seem to use
> more and more time updating the hosts.
>
> [...]
>
> Is anyone else facing the same problem? What are your experiences
> doing (blind) automatic security updates.
>
> Or are you maybe using something completly diffrent like puppet?
>
> Whats your practical experience with lots of servers?  (i am not
> interested in theoretical advises :-P )

I've not using unattended upgrades or stuff like this, but apt-dater
[1]: "apt-dater provides an ncurses frontend for managing package
updates on a large number of remote hosts using SSH. It supports
Debian-based managed hosts as well as rug (e.g. openSUSE) and yum (e.g.
CentOS) based systems."

It's a great tool, which I can fully recommend, using it to upgrade
around 200 machines.

A similar tool is UPDIAN, with which I've got no experience at all, and
it's not packaged for Debian (yet?), but still, it may be worth a look.

Cheers,
Georg

[1] https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/apt-dater
[2] https://github.com/robhost/UPDIAN