Re: Debians security features in comparison to Ubuntu

On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 10:39 PM, Sven Bartscher
<sven.bartscher@weltraumschlangen.de> wrote:
> On Sat, 17 May 2014 11:44:56 +0000
> Patrick Schleizer <adrelanos@riseup.net> wrote:
>
>> After reading the following blog post
>>
>> http://theinvisiblethings.blogspot.fr/2011/04/linux-security-circus-on-gui-isolation.html
>>
>> it seems to me, that user account level isolation isn't very strong.
>
> A very helpful link. I wasn't aware of that problem until now.
> Is there anything I can do against this, without using two different
> users? Are there any plans on changing this behaviour?

There are more reasons than the X11 hole to refrain from using your
admin user to surf the web.

If you are worried about needing to find answers to admin problems by
searching the web, lynx helps somewhat. But I still restrict the
places I visit with lynx while running as an admin to my search engine
site, certain subdomains of debian.org, and such.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart.