Re: New rootkit targetting Debian squeeze (amd64 only)

On 11/23/12 11:14, Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:
> On 11/23/12, Mike Mestnik <cheako+debian-security@mikemestnik.net> wrote:
>> On 11/23/12 06:14, Milan P. Stanic wrote:
>>> On Fri, 2012-11-23 at 02:22, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
>>>
>>> Two days passed and no one say anything about infection vector.
>>> Expect gibberish babble about Russian hackers.
>>>
>>> To me, it looks like some 'unknown entity' spread FUD about Linux and
>>> especially Debian.
>>>
>> This is a good point, can we even verify the original reporter doesn’t
>> have a vendetta against Russian hackers?  The real attack here could be
>> a political one, hence the shabby technical bits when compared to the
>> articles and postings.
>>
>> Perhaps it's worth a Debian Weekly Sews Article to clear the air and
>> address any user concerns about these other articles.
>

> May be the first time I've ever commented on a Debian specific list so
> hey, s'mee, one of your several years' long lurkers. :)
>
> Just writing to think out loud that for about six months now, it's
> undeniably "felt" like a sometimes not-so-subtle squeeze is on against
> the (my beloved) Linux community.. Disappearing dual-boot abilities as
> an e.g. notwithstanding, pretty much nothing else but gut instinct to
> go on in that OPINION.. Just adding my Voice toward something like
> this "feeling" to be more about attempting to take a...... byte out of
> Linux and/or specifically Debian.

Hopefully this will have the opposite effect.  Look at how much interest
there is over the tiniest infracture into any of the machines running
Debian.  How many times has there been so much discussion over a
malicious application of this size on other operating systems?

There is more information available about this one bit of code then
there is for all of Win7SP1:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/whats-included-in-windows-7-service-pack-1-sp1