Re: New rootkit targetting Debian squeeze (amd64 only)

On 11/23/12, Mike Mestnik <cheako+debian-security@mikemestnik.net> wrote:
> On 11/23/12 06:14, Milan P. Stanic wrote:
>> On Fri, 2012-11-23 at 02:22, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
>>
>> Two days passed and no one say anything about infection vector.
>> Expect gibberish babble about Russian hackers.
>>
>> To me, it looks like some 'unknown entity' spread FUD about Linux and
>> especially Debian.
>>
> This is a good point, can we even verify the original reporter doesn’t
> have a vendetta against Russian hackers?  The real attack here could be
> a political one, hence the shabby technical bits when compared to the
> articles and postings.
>
> Perhaps it's worth a Debian Weekly Sews Article to clear the air and
> address any user concerns about these other articles.

May be the first time I've ever commented on a Debian specific list so
hey, s'mee, one of your several years' long lurkers. :)

Just writing to think out loud that for about six months now, it's
undeniably "felt" like a sometimes not-so-subtle squeeze is on against
the (my beloved) Linux community.. Disappearing dual-boot abilities as
an e.g. notwithstanding, pretty much nothing else but gut instinct to
go on in that OPINION.. Just adding my Voice toward something like
this "feeling" to be more about attempting to take a...... byte out of
Linux and/or specifically Debian.

Returning to lurk mode.. Warmest wishes from North Georgia.. :)

Cindy-Sue

- :: -
Cindy-Sue Causey
http://www.youtube.com/user/SilkWhispers