Re: Default valid shells and home dir permissions

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 11:19:41 +0100
Poison Bit <poisonbit@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 7:48 AM, Davit Avsharyan
> <avsharyan@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I know how to change it :). I just wanted to understand why it
> > comes with 755 and not 700 ?
> > Few years ago, if I'm not mistaken, everything was 700.
>
> No less than 9 years.

> One possible reason for this default, maybe if I'm not mistaken, to
> keep UserDir working in apache (?)

Apache can traverse a 701 directory. Don't know about other web
servers. Other reasons i've seen mentioned in the past include making
it easier for users to share their files, but i don't remember where i
read that anymore.
thanks,
kk

--