Re: Default valid shells and home dir permissions

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 7:48 AM, Davit Avsharyan <avsharyan@gmail.com> wrote:
> I know how to change it :). I just wanted to understand why it comes with
> 755 and not 700 ?
> Few years ago, if I'm not mistaken, everything was 700.

No less than 9 years.

In 2003 I see the 755:

   http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/adduser/trunk/adduser.conf?revision=10&view=markup

Can't find earlier references there, but in
/usr/share/doc/adduser/changelog.gz there is the following entry:

  * ability to set a global mode for creating directories in variable
    DIR_MODE in adduser.conf (closes: #29389)

With this date:  Sat, 20 May 2000 14:16:20 +0200

One possible reason for this default, maybe if I'm not mistaken, to
keep UserDir working in apache (?)

--
Iñigo