Re: some feedback about security from the user's point of view

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011, René Mayrhofer wrote:
> Therefore, I strongly suggest to move away from all uses of MD5 and
> use SHA-2 (>=256) instead (SHA1 already makes the crypto community

No. Let's stick to SHA2-256, please.  There are some doubts about how
well sha2-512 holds, it may actually be weaker than sha2-256 against
some attacks (not brute-force, obviously).  It is also faster, and
secure enough for the next three years.  There is no need to waste
resources with sha2-384 and sha2-512 for now.

And, if you're going to be paranoid, you really should check ALL
available hashes (so, if sha1, md5 and sha2-256 hashes are available,
check them all) and fail if any of them fail.

  Henrique Holschuh