Re: Lenny version info

On Mon, 2010-12-13 at 10:59 +1030, Ashvin Narayanan wrote:
> This probably isn't the best place to ask but I couldn't find a better one.
> How do I obtain information about my Lenny installation? Is there a
> command that tells me the version number?

What I generally do to check the status of the system and see if
everything is up-to-date and as it should be:

- check /etc/debian_version
- check /etc/apt/sources.list (also the easiest place to get the code
  name because I always forget the version numbers and you can
  immediately see which repositories are used)
- check /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
- use aptitude to see if anything is funny (obsolete or unused packages
  mostly)
- use apt-show-versions and some clever grepping to see where all
  packages come from (and whether they're up-to-date/obsolete/manually
  installed/outdated experimental/whatever)

--
-- arthur - adejong@debian.org - http://people.debian.org/~adejong --