Re: ...

This one time, at band camp, Jim Popovitch said:
> On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 15:13, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> > * Jim Popovitch (jimpop@gmail.com) wrote:
> > I don't think any of the mail team has "given up easily"
>
> That's not the point.  Russ implied that 95% was good enough, and if
> anyone wanted better than it was best to unsubscribe.  I disagree.

No, Russ implied that reality occasionally intrudes on fantasies of
spam-free inboxes.  If, as you imply, you're a professional mail admin
familiar with environments of vastly divergent requirements in a single
ruleset, catering to users who speak every language on Earth, submitting
legitimate mail from every corner of the globe, you will understand some
of the challenges.  If you couple that with prizing getting good bug
reports and user feedback over eliminating every single spam, you might
begin to get an idea of the difficulty of the task.  It's not as if we
can just ditch mail based on presence in a DNSBL or non-ascii character
sets, or even a wildly misconfigured mail server (that may be what the
bug report is about, after all).

Don't get me wrong, I would welcome new blood to contribute fresh ideas
and energy.  It's just that very frequently the spam issue seems to be
one of those where people are very interested in telling you about what
works for them in a very different environment to what there is in Debian,
and it is energy draining to keep having the same discussions over and
over about something that seems to be both a hot button issue and largely
irrelevant.  I think that, at present, Debian accepts something like
less than 1% of all mail offered to it across our various mail servers.
Yes, it is possible to do better, but probably not significantly better,
mathematically speaking.  I think that that may be a pretty good place
to strike a bargain between openness and spam fighting.

> > If you really want to help, start learning about what's being done
> > already.
>
> I would very much like to.  Looking at
> http://lists.debian.org/misc.html I don't see a mailinglist devoted to
> spam/mail issues (other than debian-admin@d.o).   What communication
> method is used for that "constant time and attention" ?

There are IRC channels, mailing lists, etc.  Please start at the usual
places like http://www.debian.org/intro/organization.html .  Thank you
in advance for any contributions.

Cheers,