Re: exim4 router problems since 2 days / sucpicous process "zinit" is pstree

On 12/17/2010 12:00 PM, Thorsten Göllner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed Debian 5.0.7. Since 2 days my exim4 does not deliver
> mails. I always get the message, that the mail is not routeable. I only
> used "dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config" without touching one config file by
> hand. I detected a log message (panic log) which says, that there was a
> "too large message". Since that point exim4 stopped working.
>
> The other point is that pstree reports a process "zinit" I never saw in the
> past:
> (see last line of output)
>
> # pstree -A
> init-+-acpid
>      |-apache2---17*[apache2]
>      |-atd
>      |-cron
>      |-exim4
>      |-6*[getty]
>      |-inetd
>      |-mysqld_safe-+-logger
>      |             `-mysqld---41*[{mysqld}]
>      |-ntpd---ntpd
>      |-portmap
>      |-python
>      |-rpc.statd
>      |-rsyslogd---3*[{rsyslogd}]
>      |-sensord
>      |-smartd
>      |-sshd---sshd---sshd---bash---su---bash---pstree
>      |-udevd
>      `-zinit---{zinit}
>
> I found it here:
> # ls -lah /sbin/zinit
> -rwxr-x--x 1 root root 1.9M 2008-08-12 16:09 /sbin/zinit
>
> But I do not have any idea what it is. And I can not see the process with
> "ps":
>
> # ps aux | grep zinit
> root      5125  0.0  0.0   3120   708 pts/0    R+   12:00   0:00 grep zinit

Try first to identify the package the file belongs to:

# dpkg -S /sbin/zinit

If no package is found then most probably your machine were compromised
(using the exim exploit [1] )and you should delete the zinit file
immediately and do a detailed audit of your machine security.

You can check if zinit is listening in any port

# netstat -anp | grep zinit

And try to connect to the port with telnet/netcat to see what is happening
there.

If the file belongs to a package then you can check the integrity of the
file with debsums

# debsums packagename

[1] http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2010/Dec/222