Re: CVE-2009-3555 not addressed in OpenSSL

On mar., 2010-09-28 at 17:58 -0500, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> On 09/28/2010 03:04 PM, Marsh Ray wrote:
> > On 09/24/2010 02:45 AM, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> > But that's a choice made by Debian. Call it release policy, procedure,
> > or whatever, Debian cannot use the existence of its own bureaucracy as a
> > justification for wrong action (or inaction).
> >
> > Microsoft has implemented the correct fix for this security bug,
> > Debian has not implemented the correct fix for this security bug.
> >

> It intrigues me to know that even with a new stable coming soon we still
> won't see a proper fix.  With patches being available to vendors for so
> long I'm starting to wonder why it wasn't on the to-do list from the
> start as a /possible/ rerun and *must* fix on Squeeze.

Well, who uses gnuTLS as the server anyway? Afaik the secure
renegotiation was especially a problem in https case, and mod_gnutls
isn't really widely used.

The vast majority of people out there would use mod_ssl, and openssl
support for rfc 5746 has been added in 0.9.8m
(http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/o/openssl/current/changelog) which is indeed in testing and will be part of squeeze.

I'm not too sure the patch for renegotiation is straightforward to
backport and include in a stable release.

So yes, the situation could be better, but it doesn't look as bad as
this thread seems to imply.

Cheers,
--
Yves-Alexis