Re: Scalable Debian vulnerability tracking

> Hi folks,
>
> I work for an hosting provider, and am looking at how to improve
> visibility into vulnerability exposure.
>
> We have over 800 Debian hosts that we manage fore customers, and will
> have over 1,000 by the end of this quarter.
>
> A major problem we face is that our change distribution mechanism is
> poor.  We're working on that problem, but in the meantime, I'm looking
> at ways to assert that we are / are not vulnerable to specific issues
> disclosed by the Debian project.  I realize that this isn't the whole
> game, but it's an huge part of it.
>
> First prize is a web application that we can draw reports from (or will
> push reports to us or whatever), that knows what security issues have
> been identified and addressed by the Debian project, what versions of
> packages are installed on all servers, and therefore which packages on
> which servers should have been upgraded but have not yet been.
>
> Yup, basically the output of debsecan --only-fixed --suite etch.  But
> I'd prefer not to use email as the transport mechanism (unreliable),
> and I'd have to write an aggregator for all those mails, because
> working through mail from over a thousand servers is error prone.

[...]

This is definitely not a complete solution to your problem, but it might help
you along the way:

- Run apt-get update + apt-show-versions on each host (daily, hourly, whatever
  you like)
- If you don't like email for aggregation, a central syslog may be an option.
  Pipe the output of apt-show-versions through logger and filter and aggregate
  the logs on your server.

We don't have hundreds of servers, but this scheme works fairly well around
here, using a very simply daily cron job and logwatch as the aggregator.

HTH,
Michael