Re: Cleanup portsentry's iptables rules (WAS: HEAD's UP: possible 0day SSH exploit in the wild)

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009, Maik Holtkamp wrote:
> I decided to follow this and on the weekend iptables blocked about 70
> IPs. I am afraid that after some time the box will be DOSed by the
> crowded INPUT chain.

The only _real_ fix for that is to use IPSET (patch for netfilter) to deal
with IPv4, and config portsentry to run a script that just adds IPs to the
proper set you used to block stuff.  You can even add them with a builtin
"expire" time, so that they get unblocked three days after they were
inserted, or whatever...

I really wish IPSET was merged upstream, but it must be lacking something
fundamental to earn that right (IPv6 support, perhaps?), since it has been
around for a long time now, and it is fully maintained.

  Henrique Holschuh