RE: bastille in lenny

Matt,

It works perfectly on Lenny after two quick edits:

Edit API.pm. Search "DB4". Add "DB5.0" in same format:
... "DB3.1", "DB4.0", "DB5.0",

Edit IOLoader.pm. Search "DB4". Add "DB5.0" in same format:
... = 'DB2.2 DB3.0 DB3.1 DB4.0 DB5.0';

IntaractiveBastille -c

Good to hear it's fixed in the next generation. It's something that's
seemed an outstanding bug in Lenny which should be fixed as either a
program dysfunctional bug or security need. Still, it's something one
can fix themselves in ten seconds unless there is something deeper than
those two files. The only other snag I've hit is Bastille favoring
syslogd rather than rsyslog when configuring PSAD. Bastille wants a
syslog.conf it can confirm the kern.info fifo in which is another ten
second or less fix. Do this or drop it in your setup scripts (I do a
Bash build script for replication or recovery installs):

Echo "kern.info | /var/lib/psad/psadfifo" > /etc/rsyslog.d/psadfifo.conf
Echo "kern.info | /var/lib/psad/psadfifo" > /etc/syslog.conf

Bastille should run like a champ for you after the version edit and psad
setup. Great baseline for your security config though shouldn't be
considered the final step. Also, if you haven't before, look at creating
a /etc/Bastille/firewall.d/post-rule-setup.sh for your custom iptables
rules. I don't open ssh port 22 through Bastille preferring to do
specific accept exceptions for the few valid sources which have reason
to connect in.

Now.. Since my SSH is up to date, I'll go back to lurking until that
issue is found to effect more than 4.3.

Joe