"libsasl2": is there an announce list for "Main"

Hi all,

Is there an announce list for the updates to the "Main" repository or
are packages just added there and end-users find out when they do
apt-get update? For example I see that there's an update to "libsasl2"
and "libsasl2-2". I can't find any information about the nature of the
update. Perhaps if I knew how to ask apt it would tell me? Anyway I
hate to apply patches that I don't have an idea about. So hopefully
someone can enlighten me.

Thanks!

John