Re: basically security of linux

Bernd Eckenfels <ecki@lina.inka.de> writes:
> In article <[🔎] 20090117002104.GA312@wolfden.dnsalias.net> you wrote:

>> /tmp as tmpfs, but then we have /var/tmp (which can't be tmpfs, because
>> it's purpose is to retain the files even across reboots).
>
> It is just supposed to hold larger data. No persistence in /var/tmp over
> reboots required.

FHS chapter 5
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#VARTMPTEMPORARYFILESPRESERVEDBETWEE:

    The /var/tmp directory is made available for programs that require
    temporary files or directories that are preserved between system
    reboots. Therefore, data stored in /var/tmp is more persistent than
    data in /tmp.

    Files and directories located in /var/tmp must not be deleted when the
    system is booted. Although data stored in /var/tmp is typically
    deleted in a site-specific manner, it is recommended that deletions
    occur at a less frequent interval than /tmp.