Re: What to do about SSH brute force attempts?

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> > * use a Firewall to prevent other IP address to connect to your ssh
> > service. restrict just to yours (iptables script can be easy to find on
> > the web)
> Well, I should have added that my hosts must be world-wide accessible using
> password-based authentication, so this is no option.

In the long term, switch to key-based auth.

> I'm not a huge fan of security by obscurity, so I'd rather stick with 22 for
> now.

Switch to key-based auth.  Brute-forcing the keys is much harder.

Meanwhile, you really should do something to reduce your attack surface, so
fail2ban and the like, plus non-standard ports are a damn good idea while
you implement the proper "fix" (drop passwords).

> What remains open is what could one do proactively? I don't really feel like
> striking back, but getting rid of the attackers would be kind of nice...

Strike against a botnet?  That's a waste of effort, really, with very few
exceptions.

  Henrique Holschuh