Re: Vacation messages (was: Re: [SECURITY] [DSA 1629-1] New postfix packages fix privilege escalation)

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 18:37:25 -0300
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI <eduardo@kalinowski.com.br> wrote:

> Why is that that only in this list one gets these annoying vacation
> messages from morons that cannot configure their mail systems not to
> send vacation messages to mailing lists, but one does not receive them
> in other debian mailing lists?

Because they use MUAs that do not parse the special Precedence header
that is set to list on most Mailinglists meaning that programs should
not automatically respond to the one. If you ask me, this is
*incredibly* *horribly* broken behaviour, even my auto-replier written
in two days did care about this. And basically, such an auto-replier is
really very easy to write.

The same discussion took place on the Scala and Scala-Users mailinglists
yesterday. It is a general problem of broken mailers.

regards,
Marek