Re: openssh remote upgrade procedure?

Unfortunately my question has still not been answered.

1. What's the information in /usr/share/doc/openssh-server that is so
enlightening? I don't have access to a debian machine right now so
would be nice to know. Tried downloading from
http://packages.debian.org/etch/openssh-server to no avail. It's not
quite obvious how one can read the documentation captured in
individual text files distributed with packages online.

2. No, I do not try to login as root. I allowed only one user to login
to the openssh daemon and am trying to use the same one now.

3. Testing to see if you can still get on to a server is exactly what
I would have done, if my connection had not been killed by the server
itself a few seconds after upgrading the packages. This happened on
two servers running different versions of debian (etch & lenny).

4. So I did get bitten by "this" - whatever that is. Now how do I fix
it? I have employed local staff to relax the restrictions of
sshd_config and restart the daemon, with absolutely no change in
behavior.

I do not understand:

a) How/why were my active connections to the server killed right after
upgrading and

b) Why I am not allowed access now that I try to utilise the simplest
of all, keyboard interactive authentication. I'd suspect breakage
between the new openssh daemon and the authentication mechanisms (PAM,
GSSAPI, you-name-it), but on two different distributions
simultaneously?

I'd appreciate any helpful comment both for my case and for the
benefit of anyone else who gets "bit" by what has historically been a
quite safe and painless procedure: updating a Debian system.

Thanks

-A