Re: securing server

Le 07-05-2008, à 19:39:57 +0800, Abdul Bijur Vallarkodath (abdulbijur@gmail.com) a écrit :

>    haha.  not really!  if u have really managed an online server u'd have
>    seen tons of attacks and login attempts on your default ports by bots
>    looking around for weaker systems.

Yes I have also seen that very often.

>    This is hence especially helpful, I myself have seen these bot attacks
>    reduce to almost zero once i had changed the port numbers of various
>    services on my system.

	Sure, but that doesn't mean you're more secure, just that you have
	less scans (which can be achieved by some well-thought iptables rules).

> Now, you are talking about someone sitting and
>    concentrating on your machine, thats a diff story all together. isn't it?

Yep, you're right. If someone really wants to attack you, changing
the default ports number will just postpone the moment the attacks will
really start.

>    you are smart, you should have known all this.

Just tried to pinpoint an issue.

Best regards

--
Steve