Re: securing server

If your running apache I'd suggest installing modsecurity.

As for the other services, disable password authentication on ssh (start using ssh keypairs), force ssh2

proftpd has a couple of tweaks, remove the banner, implement connection limits

inetd is always worth shutting down unless you really need it

do an nmap on the box locally and see what else is running, install an iptables firewall that will block all ports by default and only open what you need, disable the different icmp types, particularly the timestamp one.