Re: ClamAV concerns

On Sunday 20 April 2008 11:56:07 pm Johann Spies wrote:

> The fact that there are regular updates shows that the product is
> constantly developing.  That does not necessarily mean that it is an
> inferior product to closed source
Certainly not. What should be said here, though, is that anti-virus software
is fundamentally high-risk software. I can't claim to be security whiz, but
everything I've read, and what I hear from acquaintances who *are* good at
this stuff, is that AV software is constantly targeted by malware developers
for the simple reason that it is one of the few applications that they *know*
will interact with their exploits. It's not that AV software is poorly
designed, it's that it's in a bad situation to begin with.

That's not a reason to give up on it when it is needed, but it is more than
reason enough to be very careful with it.