Re: ClamAV concerns

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 12:06:01AM +0200, Jan Luehr wrote:
> we're using ClamAV on our mail server for scanning incomming mail server-side
> on Etch. However, looking back at ClamAV's history (DSA-1320-1, DSA-1366-1,
> DSA-1435-1, DSA-1479, DSA-1549)  makes me feel a little bit uneasy. To be
> honest, ClamAV had more remote exploitable holes than all of other public
> reachable services together. Therefore imho it's difficult to say, whether
> ClamAV protects our network or puts our server at risk.

The fact that there are regular updates shows that the product is
constantly developing.  That does not necessarily mean that it is an
inferior product to closed source

> What Do you think about this? Do you know reasons for ClamAV's unusual high
> number of bugs? Would you abandon ClamAV for server side mail scanning in
> favor of other scanners?

No.

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not
      of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works,
      lest any man should boast."   Ephesians 2:8,9