Re: Is oldstable security support duration something to be proud of?

Le March 10, 2008 04:58:28 pm Török Edwin, vous avez écrit :
> Filipus Klutiero wrote:
> > free distros if you want. Let's take these 3 which are not too far from
> > Debian's quality:
> > RHEL and derivatives: 7 years
>
> Rather than using a  7 year old product with security updates, you can
> use a newer stable release [*].
> For Debian when security support ends, there is a new stable release
> available for at least a year.
> Upgrading from oldstable to stable is supported. During that year you
> had plenty of time to test upgrading from "oldstable" to the new
> "stable" release.
>
> IMHO if there is a new stable release available for a reasonable time (1
> year is more than reasonable), then having longer security support for
> an old release doesn't
> add to a distribution's quality.
It does add a bit, for these ~1% users that didn't upgrade yet.
> The Debian security team should definitely be proud for doing a good job!
>
> [*] Also the old product can have vulnerabilities that do not affect the
> latest stable,  (for example portions of code got rewritten to be more
> robust),
> and thus the old product won't get security updates. But are you safer
> using the old product?
No. My point is not that users shouldn't upgrade or that Debian releases
should be supported for longer. I'm just pointing that it's
useless/misleading to state the project is proud of the security support
duration.

> No, because if somebody writes an exploit for it (the old product) you
> are not protected; however if you are using a newer stable release, you
> wouldn't be affected by it at all.
>
> There are other factors to consider, like length of security support
> from upstream for old releases.
>
> > Debian is somewhat better than openSUSE, equal or slightly worst than
> > Ubuntu and definitely worst than RHEL and derivatives. So on average,
> > Debian is somewhat worst than its main alternatives in this aspect. IMO
> > one shouldn't show off unless being at least a bit above average.
>
> IHMO you can't judge a distribution's quality based on the length of
> security support alone.
Of course...note the "in this aspect". All we are/should be discussing here is
the security support duration of oldstable, not Debian's quality. If I didn't
think that Debian was the best, I wouldn't use it nor bother reporting its
bugs.