Re: halted firewalls

Hi Ludo,

Ludo schrieb:
My understanding (which might be wrong) was that once the kernel
launches the INIT task, the whole runlevel and boot/shutdown
stuff is a user space thing.

What do you mean by that? Does that change the situation?

It doesn't change the situation for you, because you're only interested in noise reduction. I don't think the author of the original article was thinking about noise reduction, with "shutdown" he probably meant reaching runlevel 0 without actually shutting down the machine.

What I meant in my last message was that even in runlevel 0 the kernel will happily answer system calls and probably be able to start new kernel threads just like init. The only way to terminate the kernel (including its process subsystem) is to reboot or to shutdown the machine. I hope I got that right.

Best regards,
Alexander