Re: strange requests from Vanguard Securities: 53,137,138

On Sun, Aug 12, 2007 at 01:16:57PM -0700, Wade Richards wrote:
> 2) If you really don't like the log messages, then reconfigure your firewall to not
>    log dropped packets.

Actually, it might be best to just drop (and not log) packets to these ports
which are flowding your messages' log and log the rest. That way you log
other (uncommon) incoming attacks blocked by the firewall which might be an
indication of somebody which is interested in you (for example, a portscan
probe).

Easy to do like this:

<your firewall ruleset, assuming your default policy is DROP>
<....>
iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 53 -j DROP
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 137,138 -j DROP
iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 137,138 -j DROP
iptables -A INPUT -j LOG
<end of firewall ruleset>

Regards

Javier

PS: Notice that NetBIOS (port 137, 138) worms try to propagate both over both
TCP and UDP:
http://isc.sans.org/port.html?port=137
http://isc.sans.org/port.html?port=138

PPS: I typically block and drop also port 139 (also NetBIOS) which is
constantly probed due to multiple trojans and vulnerabilities:
http://isc.sans.org/port.html?port=139