Re: security idea - bootable CD to check your system

Stephan Wehner wrote:
> I have the impression there are projects already, that would do to the
> job with some tweaking (tripwire, ..)

Maybe, although I can't see how you get round the problem that you need
to update the checksum database every time you install new or updated
software.

Ok, I see your problem: you want some other source, not your system,
to hold the values (checksums) that ensure integrity. But you do not
mind that it is online (not available when your system is not
connected to the Internet)

So when you run a security-check, and new software has been added, you
might as well define a route to a place to hold the
newly-to-be-calculated checksums (CD-ROM/USB stick, outside server
where you can post/read, gmail-filesystem, etc).

The idea of doing it this way was that you can run a check at any time without having to keep updating the checksum database yourself, because it's automatically updated online whenever a new package comes out.
A worthwhile ambition, where I still feel it'll be as hard to make it
debian-only as not. Another point is that configuration files play a
big part in the security of your system and a debian-only package
checksum will not be able to capture the state of locally changed
configurations. For example if your fstab says "mount this partitiion
read-only" then you would like to be notified by your check if that
has been changed (maliciously).
From what you and other people have said, I'm realising that running a secure system isn't as simple as I had thought at first. What I'm thinking of doing is putting this idea to the back of my mind for a while, and meanwhile concentrating on learning how to secure my network better with the existing tools. Hopefully, once I've got some experience with this, then I'll be able to see a bit better how far the process can be automated.

Thanks to everyone who has replied for your time.

andy baxter.

andy