Re: Secure rsync setup, bind-mount ro

On Tuesday, 2006-12-19 at 08:47:32 +0100, Dariush Pietrzak wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 04:50:51PM +0100, Lupe Christoph wrote:
> > when I mean bind mounts. No, they are just an aliasing mechanism.
>  Nope, they're not:

Well, we are on a Debian mailing list, so I'd assume we talk about
Debian packages... But let me qualify my statement. "Bind mounts are
just an aliasing mechanism in default kernels as distributed with any
major distribution I looked at." Satisfied?

>  it's just that sometime in the past, someone took a shortcut and made
> bind-mounts ignore the options, and now it seems that noone can explain to
> Linus that that was an ommision, and patches fixing that get thrown out
> because "noone would use that", and "that was linux behaviour for years
> and noone complained yet".

The curse of backwards compatibility. Coming from somebody who routinely
breaks ABIs...

>  The patches were maintained as seperate 'bind mount extensions/bme'
> project here: http://www.13thfloor.at/patches/
> and now they're part of vserver project, http://linux-vserver.org/

... and you filed a bug to have them included in the Debian kernel
builds? After first packaging them as a Debian kernel patch package? I
mean, VServer is too heavy to include in the default kernels.

Lupe Christoph
--
| You know we're sitting on four million pounds of fuel, one nuclear     |
| weapon and a thing that has 270,000 moving parts built by the lowest   |