Re: Mass update deployment strategy

On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 08:37:42PM +0100, mario wrote:
>Hello List,
>
>i am responsible for 10 (ubuntu and debian) installations so far.
>I have installed apticron which informs me about updates frequently.
>Actually, its that often that i sometimes need to invest 1h a day just
>doing updates.
>
>Do you have a strategy or anything to automate this task a little more?
>The server farm is growing and i might have to look after 20 or 30
>installations soon. I can already see myself updating ubuntu/debian
>installations all day long :(.
>
>My installations are most of the time small firewalls and samba servers.
>
>Any comments or field reports about this?

on your master computer you could run a script somthing like this...

#!/bin/sh

set -e
set -x
ENV="set -e && export TERM=$TERM && . /etc/profile"
UPD="echo && hostname && Updating Package Lists... && apt-get -qq update || true"
UPG="apt-get upgrade --show-upgraded"
UPC="apt-get clean"

for n in host1 host2 hostz; do
 ssh root@$n "$ENV && $UPD ; $UPG && $UPC"
done

don't forget to have ssh-agent working beforehand.

// George