Fwd: Mass update deployment strategy

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Manuel García <mannyto@gmail.com>
Date: Nov 27, 2006 3:46 PM
Subject: Re: Mass update deployment strategy
To: mario <ml@bortal.de>

Well, if every machine have the same hardware you may use systemimager
to do the upgrade, read about systemimager in [1]

[1] http://www.systemimager.org/documentation/

On 11/27/06, mario <ml@bortal.de> wrote:
Hello List,

i am responsible for 10 (ubuntu and debian) installations so far.
I have installed apticron which informs me about updates frequently.
Actually, its that often that i sometimes need to invest 1h a day just
doing updates.

Do you have a strategy or anything to automate this task a little more?
The server farm is growing and i might have to look after 20 or 30
installations soon. I can already see myself updating ubuntu/debian
installations all day long :(.

My installations are most of the time small firewalls and samba servers.

Any comments or field reports about this?

Thanks, Mario

Manuel Garcia.
Jefe de Informática CASEP.
Administrador de redes
Consultor independiente
Debian GNU/Linux Testing codename "Etch"