Re: DD machine mysterious reboot

also sprach Adam C Powell IV <hazelsct@debian.org> [2006.10.29.2308 +0100]:
> I don't have automatic security upgrades on the machine (not sure if
> those trigger a reboot).

I would say no, definitely not.

> I guess I'm wondering: how concerned should I be?  Can you think of
> other reasons the machine might have auto-rebooted?

A kernel panic? Do you set kernel.panic in /etc/sysctl.conf?

> happened right after the morning cron exercises; do any common cron jobs
> reboot the machine?

No. Rebooting is for adding new hardware. :)

I would run a memory and harddisk check.

Is the kernel still the same as before?

Do you have any means to boot the machine with e.g. Knoppix and
verifying md5sums of installed files?

Also, check the output from `last -100` for any unusual logins.

Somehow I doubt that this is something to worry about. If it's x86
hardware, you may just have found out how incredibly crap it is.

micro$oft windoze: proof that p. t. barnum was correct.