Re: When are security updates effective?

On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 10:54:45PM +0200, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> If there's anything special to do (e.g. kernel or glibc) we alredy add this
> to the DSA text.

I don't think that's quite enough.  I have a few hundred Debian
workstations for which I'm responsible, and it's difficult for me to
make sure that the users e.g. restart firefox when we release an update.
Daemons automatically get restarted, but desktop apps require
intervention.  In my case, the desktop apps aren't being run by the
people installing the updates (the updates are typically installed
either remotely or fully automatically) and that makes things even more
difficult.

I haven't come up with a really good solution to this problem.  I
actually sort of like the Windows method of incessantly nagging the user
to reboot their machine (it literally pops up a dialog box every few
minutes).  I like the idiot-proof factor.  Yes, they can ignore the
popups, but they come so quickly that even the most stubborn user will
get sick of them and reboot.  I'd hate it if I was a Windows user,
though, I'm sure!

noah