Re: Why is portmap installed by default?

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 01:59:41PM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Am 2006-08-20 14:49:53, schrieb kevin bailey:
> > Why is portmap installed by default on a vanilla basic Debian Sarge install?
>
> Sorry, but portmap is NOT installed...
>
> This was changed from Woody->Sarge and I was surprised too,
> that I had to install portmap my own
>
> > As far as I can see this is mainly used by by NFS and NIS - so if we're not
> > using either of these then why should it be installed.
>
> It is not - and IF it is there, it was installed as Dependency.

How are you doing your installs?

The sarge installer, even if you deselect all tasks, installs all

Doubtless you could use expert mode in the install to avoid this, but
that should hardly be necesary. It certainly seems to be like portmap
should be made Priority: optional.

As others, along with nfs-common and lpr, removing it is one of the
first things I do for a new install.

Cheers,

Dominic.